SEPTEMBER 1st IN THE MIRROR: A tiny, Japanese, ceramic Buddha appropriately enough, reflected against a backdrop of the wheel of dharma in our bedroom
SEPTEMBER 2nd AT THE TABLE: In a quirky little neighbourhood space we like there are mishmash old electrical appliances and odd chairs and tables including this one which was once two treadle sewing machines. This morning there was what I think is an old style hairdryer parked at that table
SEPTEMBER 3rd ON THE FLOOR: Just about the only thing that isn’t furniture in our place and that lives on the floor are our shoes in the entrance way
* this one was a Facebook Fab Four pick
SEPTEMBER 4th ON MY FEET: are slides with arch support, that I would never wear in the street, because with my scrunched up feet they are difficult to walk any distance in, but are perfect for the slippery tiles around the pool and in the showers
![]() |
SEPTEMBER 5th OUT THE WINDOW: in a neighbourhood space that is undergoing a new imagining. There were so many great views through the windows
SEPTEMBER 6th SOMETHING I’LL EAT: actually I have already - today’s breakfast
SEPTEMBER 7th IN MOTION: At twilight yesterday a solitary hornbill came to rest on the roof opposite our apartment. It observed the skies and ground for several minutes and we were sure it would take off. Night was falling and it happens quickly in this region. It would soon need to roost. It jumped a bit forward and launched huge wings in a slow steady take off and was gone. I love that we still see them but worry that they are so often alone these days
SEPTEMBER 8th SOMETHING OLD: The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh certainly fits that bill and was glowing in the early evening tonight
SEPTEMBER 9th MY COMMUTE: Considering we are retired and sold our last car in 1989 then besides bicycles and tuk tuks we are most often ambling, strolling, wandering, on Shank’s pony, on the number 11 bus, on foot, or put simply just walking
SEPTEMBER 10th SOMETHING NEW: Today I bought two new sets of six postcards and one single card for my snail mail project. They are the only things I have bought new besides groceries and meals and drinks for weeks. Happy to have more charming illustrations of Phnom Penh to send into the world
SEPTEMBER 12th A FAVOURITE SPOT: The sky bar we always take guests to and which affords the best views over the city especially at sunset
SEPTEMBER 13th A PLANT I HAVEN'T KILLED: This beautiful Jasmine was on our terrace and came with our apartment. We have repotted and relocated it and not only did I not kill it but it now flowers about every six weeks and deliciously scents the night air for one or two days
SEPTEMBER 14th ALMOST BEDTIME: but I’m still tempted to taste this mixed berry cake, since the one I baked three days ago disappeared at the celebration I took it to, before I could
SEPTEMBER 15th IN THE LAUNDRY: Only a couple of years ago there were only mum and pop shops that did laundry with one machine and drying space often on the footpath. Laundry is still $1- $2 a kilo in those establishments and I can’t help wondering how how those small family enterprises have reinvented themselves to stay alive, now these self serve places are popping up everywhere. There is always someone in the laundry
SEPTEMBER 16th OUTSIDE TODAY: in our hood this is quite a common sight and an often used cheap form of local transport. Today was no exception
SEPTEMBER 17th I USE THIS DAILY: That would have to be this pair of chopsticks - my go to eating utensil for the last 40 plus years
SEPTEMBER 18th ERRANDS: We ran a lot of errands today but the one that gave me the most pleasure was buying hygiene supplies for the little monks of Kep. We are going back to see them and to try to assist with their skin issues in a few days
SEPTEMBER 19th ON MY BED: The beginnings of the packing for our upcoming trip to Kep are currently on our freshly laundered bed
SEPTEMBER 20th IN MY POCKET: today is just my hand and my favourite handkerchief more often used for wiping my sweaty face after walking than blowing my nose. Such is life in the tropics
*chosen in the Fab Four on Instagram
SEPTEMBER 21st A VIEW FROM MY COUCH: sitting in my reading nook in the corner on the couch at the far end of our open plan living space. I sat there just long enough to snap a pic today as we were rushing out the door to catch a bus for a little local jaunt
SEPTEMBER 22nd EVERYDAY BEAUTY: In a country where rice is an everyday, every meal option there is everyday beauty in the ripening rice crop and the prospect of a bumper harvest is a bonus too. The fields are also at their best right now with the monsoon season bringing so much rain
SEPTEMBER 23rd AN OPEN DOOR: of the bungalow where we are staying reveals our picnic lunch in the making. A cycling adventure before the rain sets in, coming up next
SEPTEMBER 24th A FAVOURITE TOOL: with a favourite appliance always travel with us. The collapsible coffee banet and collapsible silicone kettle. I’m not even human in the morning before my first coffee, or framed positively, after coffee anything is possible
SEPTEMBER 25th IN MY BATHROOM: in the bungalow where we have been staying, I managed to get my bathers dry overnight. We managed only one swim between monsoon showers but it took a day and a half to get them dry. Wet, wet, wet
SEPTEMBER 26th A CORNER OF MY ROOM: It’s a bit of a stretch. More like my messy corner of our room
SEPTEMBER 27th ON MY BEDSIDE TABLE: just the usual suspects in the usual colour scheme
SEPTEMBER 28th A FLAT LAY: As always when we travel by bus or train or ferry we take monster sandwiches for our rest stop on the journey. We are busing and ferrying to Koh Rong Sanloem tomorrow so meal break is pre- prepared. I’m not a morning person this would be impossible to achieve just before we depart
SEPTEMBER 29th SOMETHING UNEXPECTED: perfect beach weather and pristine waters, was definitely not the expected conditions after a full week of monsoon storms, overcast skies and flooding in many places across Cambodia. We never considered cancelling our booked long ago trip but wow and thank you. Blissful break for our wedding anniversary has started well
SEPTEMBER 30th A FAVE THING: This stubby holder or koozie as they call them here, which folds flat and is perfect for happy hour when you are travelling especially at the beach. Happy hour itself and the beach are also pretty good
PROMPTS






























No comments:
Post a Comment