Friday, June 1, 2018

oNe PhOtO a DaY mAy 2018


THE PROMPTS FOR THE MONTH


TUESDAY 1st SOMETHING GOOD: The new number manipulatives proved to be something good in the little monks class today. The boys were really engaged and concentrating.  Due to it being a public holiday only four boys were there and that too was something good as I was the only teacher. Ian was not well enough to come


WEDNESDAY 2nd COLOUR: is the key to healthy eating and a balanced intake of vitamins and minerals. I learned over 20 years ago while living in Japan the philosophy of eating a rainbow. It works for me


THURSDAY 3rd ON MY PLATE: for dinner last night was roasted eggplant with soy sauce and sesame seeds. A simple rustic dish I learnt to make in Japan -though the eggplants should be chargrilled over coals. Looks like we might have to get a local charcoal grill if we want to keep making this one


FRIDAY 4th WHAT I SEE: and admire every time we go swimming. This view never gets old. Today the storm clouds were rolling in and thunder growling as we rode home in the drizzling rain thankful for the lower temperature and cool breeze


SATURDAY 5th EARTH: The red earth road we ride twice a week to get to the monastery to teach our little monks. After just a couple of rain showers it looks like this today. It doesn’t auger well for the coming wet season


SUNDAY 6th SOMETHING YELLOW : These flowers on the Cassia Fistula tree remind me of yellow wisteria. They bloom prolifically and one section of the main road through Kep is lined with them. It’s a spectacular sight when they are all in full bloom and made me wonder if that is why so many of the old colonial houses and walls like the one in the background are that striking yellow colour too - striking when they aren’t crumbling ruins that is!


MONDAY 7th SMALL: This small monkey was as fascinated by me as I was by him. He was high in the canopy frantically feeding when we hiked through Kep National Park today. Although he was part of a large troupe he was alone and independent


TUESDAY 8th I ENJOY....... : travelling, swimming, cooking, reading, cycling, writing and hiking but the thing I enjoy most about my life at the moment is teaching these little monks

(PS I’m thrilled this was selected by admin as one of the best shots taken on this day for the PAD Challenge – a rare privilege indeed for me)


WEDNESDAY 9th LOOKING DOWN: on the students who spelt out where they live with their bodies today as a part of the activities in class- Kep


THIRSDAY 10thTHROWBACK: Teaching High school Drama in the 1980’s. I knitted the dress, which was a copy of the text book cover. Obviously I didn’t take the photo but one of the biggest ‘tear-aways’ in the class did and when she found me on Facebook some 20 plus years later she sent it to me and we have since become firm friends


FRIDAY 11th CLEAN: For some time we have been concerned about the hygiene of the little monks we teach. They and their robes are always so grubby! With the generous donation of some dear friends, in Canada we bought this collection of personal care products today. We only need to add 4 wash basins and 6 more flannels from the local market tomorrow. Hopefully a quick hygiene lesson and some very CLEAN monks hereafter. Fingers crossed.... it is at least a beginning


SATURDAY 12th SHAPE: I choose the hexagon. I love cane baskets and seem to acquire them everywhere I live. This is one of the first locally made ones I bought in Cambodia. The design includes many shapes but predominately hexagons, which appear to be stars when viewed from some angles


SUNDAY 13th FAMILY: I feel blessed to have a wonderful group of people who have loved and supported me over the years. Among them are both family members and friends, who are the family we choose. Many more than those in this shot, fit that bill and span several continents but this was the maximum I could get in one photo. I know I’ve posted it before and it still holds true


MONDAY 14th LATE: afternoon view from the school today is a flash of colour on the mountains in Kep National Park


TUESDAY 15th I WISH....: I could do more to help these little monks. I also wish all students were as focused and engaged with so few resources. Mostly I wish them happiness and contentment


WEDNESDAY 16th SPEED: We ride almost everywhere and this is the usual Wednesday run. It’s never about the speed but I do hold the first place in one short segment we usually ride. Our priority is to attempt to ride 15kms a days


THURSDAY 17th KIND: The kind and generous donation of basic toilets at the monastery will hopefully have a positive impact on the monks’ hygiene and health


FRIDAY 18th DOORS AND WINDOWS: A touch of nostalgia from Old Market Street Kampot. Shop front renovations abound and no doubt this one will have its day and benefactor soon. Taken a month ago but it was still exactly the same last week when we were there. Now I feel compelled to check it out every time we visit Kampot. The day will come when it is a demolition site but until then I appreciate it


SATURDAY 19th BREATHTAKING: This magnificent tree in the Kep National Park, where we were hiking yesterday, is absolutely breathtaking


SUNDAY 20th IN MY KITCHEN: today’s roasted veggies, which will be added to couscous, salads and other dishes in the coming week. Sunday morning well spent


MONDAY 21st A GOOD READ: For many years I only read books about the country in which I was residing or travelling at the time, so I read these two books on my first trip to Cambodia. I have recently re-read them and would go so far as to say they are both not only a good read but perhaps a compulsory read for anyone interested in the recent history of Cambodia


TUESDAY 22nd CREATIVE: These days I seem to apply my creative energies to cooking and writing but these supplies allow me to be a little creative and add a splash of colour to our teaching resources for the little monks


WEDNESDAY 23rd PET: We don’t actually have a pet but this lovely old dog belongs to our landlords’ family and he often visits our yard or lies in the shade on our verandah when we are at home with the door open. I don’t think he has a name but we always refer to him as big dog. He has such a gentle nature and never barks at us unlike the many town dogs, who terrorize us when we walk by. This morning he just strolled into the driveway for a look around and quietly departed after I took this shot


THURSDAY 24th A REALLY GREAT DAY: We spent my birthday this year at Mondulkiri Project which is an elephant sanctuary near Sen Monorom in north eastern Cambodia. It was a really great day full of free roaming and bathing pachyderms. They stole my heart. No riding, only interaction based on the elephants’ desire to approach encouraged by armloads of bananas


FRIDAY 25th OOPS: wrong answer but as the littlest and newest class member with only one lesson under his belt he is forgiven. So close but just missed it. Taken yesterday in our ever expanding monks’ class


SATURDAY 26th MACRO: shot of a tiny Ylang Ylang bloom in the garden where we swim. The flowers might be small but the perfume is powerful


SUNDAY 27th GARDEN: This little garden is at the entrance to a magnificent house in Kep. Behind the white wall lies a stunning tropical garden and this serves as a taste of what is to come as you enter


MONDAY 28th MAKE: Twice a week when we go to Kep Gardens I make packed lunches for us to have late in the afternoon. I always base them on the eat a rainbow principle and try to make them look attractive as well as taste delicious



TUESDAY 29th PEOPLE: These little people - novices,  monks and village children are the people with whom we spend our Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. They add purpose, satisfaction and happiness to our lives. This was taken today during the Khmer language class following our English session, which was nowhere near as orderly and disciplined as this


WEDNESDAY 29th SILHOUETTE: of the palms and trees in our front yard against one of those enormous full moons that take your breath away. An archive shot from a couple of months ago


THURSDAY 31st TEMPTATION: This is the temptation I don’t indulge until I’m back in Australia. Wine especially dry, white and well chilled is what I am most tempted by but here the shelves are bursting but the heat and poor storage don’t auger well for it living up to one’s expectations …. home in Oz in less than 3 weeks and then I shall indulge




No comments:

Post a Comment