Monday, September 30, 2024

One PhOtO a DaY sEpTeMbEr 2024:


SEPTEMBER 1st THINGS I LOVE: include travel and photography: capturing the images that reinforce the memories. Just a few of my favourite travel pictures from my collection



SEPTEMBER 2nd A COLOURFUL DOOR: Actually one of four wooden panels that are the doors of the main entrance of a Chinese Temple built during the time Cambodia was a French Protectorate. It is now in the grounds of a school in our local neighborhood. These panels all depict door gods or deities in pairs



SEPTEMBER 3rd ARTISTIC SELFIE: I am neither very artistic nor good at selfies so as my dear ole mum used to say, “That’s as good as it gets.”



SEPTEMBER 4th A PLAYGROUND: very near our home and actually full of kids in the late afternoon but I thought it was a bit weird to photograph other people’s children without their permission


AUGUST 5th A CUP OF TEA:   I almost never drink tea; give me coffee every time. There are very few varieties I can stomach. However I do always have some in the house as we have guests and friends for whom it is their preferred tipple so that’s the cup of tea for me



SEPTEMBER 6th SUNRISE: from our front terrace in Phnom Penh. It’s an archive shot from September two years ago as I was sound asleep at sunrise this morning and after months of waking up at 2 or 3am and lack of sleep I’m revelling in actually sleeping again 



AUGUST 7th CURVES: I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning trying to clean the curves and straights of the fretwork security screens on our terrace. It’s rather the thankless task as they don’t actually look much better than when I started but I at least know I did it 



SEPTEMBER 8th SHADOWS ON THE WALL: Our standing Buddha casting shadows on the living room wall that make it look like it has faces on both sides




SEPTEMBER 9th INTERESTING DOOR KNOB: on the main doors of a local Chinese Temple. The square in the centre contains the auspicious Chinese character meaning double happiness which is most often associated with weddings


SEPTEMBER 10th IN MY HAND: is the stick of the Tibetan Singing Bowl I recently bought and like to ring almost everyday. The pedantic in me knows the bowl is actually on my hand but that was what prompted the shot



SEPTEMBER 11th A CANDLE: There are several candles in the house but I really like the ceramic pot that this one is in. There are some Aussie touches in our Asian decor too



SEPTEMBER 12th FAMILY TRADITION: The only thing I can come up with is baking. I can never remember having bought desserts at home or sweet snacks in our school lunchboxes. My mum baked everything we ate and had a rule for herself to give at least half of it away. I too follow this tradition as these cookies baked today are already packed to gift

*unexpected this one was chosen for the Fab Four on Facebook 

SEPTEMBER 13th A BICYCLE WHEEL: Rear bicycle wheels lined up on a busy corner and available for public rental



SEPTEMBER 14th HIDDEN BEAUTY: The architectural hidden beauty can be overlooked amongst the development and bustle of inner city living but we are fortunate to live in one of the oldest districts of Phnom Penh and I still notice little remnants



 SEPTEMBER 15th A FENCE: that surrounds the beautiful green space of Wat Phnom and one that mimics the peaks of the traditional rooflines as seen in the pavilion behind it. Just five minutes from home and a little haven in the mid city


SEPTEMBER 16th A STATUE: of a Khmer warrior at the stunning pool we often swim in



SEPTEMBER 17th BUBBLES: of a celebratory nature.  A very old fashion but delicious Kir Royale cocktail on the terrace at home

 SEPTEMBER 18th A COLOURFUL MURAL: down a back alley and almost always at least partially covered by parked food trucks And overhead wires



SEPTEMBER 19th WILDFLOWERS: They do grow wild all over Cambodian but this particular one is on our terrace. The best I can manage given that we live in a bustling capital city of about two and a half million people



SEPTEMPER 20th ARCHITECTURAL FEATURE: I love the turrets we randomly see all over the city and this one is just metres from home



SEPTEMBER 21st PLAY TIME: for adults at one of our favourite sky bar locations with Aussie guests and mates



SEPTEMBER 22nd A NATIONAL FLAG: The Khmer flag is frequently flown on public holidays in Cambodia and we just happened to have one at home so that we too can follow the local customs



SEPTEMBER 23rd AN OLD PHOTO: I specifically went to this gorgeous shop in Kampot immediately after we arrived today for this prompt. They have an extensive collection of old black and white photos of many South East Asian countries but of course I was attracted to the Cambodian images and had to buy a few including this one of traditional dancers


SEPTEMBER 24th A CAR INTERIOR: I’m hoping the open boot counts? Having sold my last car in 1989 this was my best option today. It’s seemed a bit invasive to be sticking my head or phone into someone else’s vehicle. This driver is looking for passengers and the open boot indicates he is definitely going today as in that esky are fresh crabs. This is how it works in towns across Cambodia. Open the boot show the cargo and anyone interested negotiates a passenger price with the driver and off you go



SEPTEMBER 25th A ROOFTOP: Several rooftops actually. Taken from a rooftop bar overlooking the Russian Market in Phnom Penh

SEPTEMBER 26th BOOKSHELF: A house is not a home until it contains books. We have very few shelves in our home and there are little piles of books in each of them. This is the bedroom collection of books we are currently reading and those that are still unread


SEPTEMBER 26th BOOKSHELF: A house is not a home until it contains books. We have very few shelves in our home and there are little piles of books in each of them. This is the bedroom collection of books we are currently reading and those that are still unread


SEPTEMBER 28th A NEON SIGN AT NIGHT: Well neon lights on the iconic old bridge in Kampot, with its eclectic styles from the various repairs and reconstructions  over the years


SEPTEMBER 29th CLEAN: That’s how you get the dishes clean if you are a street side vendor in the market area here in Phnom Penh!


SEPTEMBER 30th A BATHROOM: in our apartment where the mirror reflects the family of friends collage I created on the wall opposite it

PROMPTS





No comments: