Saturday, August 31, 2024

oNe PhOtO a DaY aUgUsT 2024:


AUGUST 1st ON MY PLATE: is my favourite breakfast: Shakshuka. This prompt made me realize almost all our meals are served in bowls as was today’s breakfast so this is from several days ago



AUGUST 2nd FRESH: a portion of the platter of finger food I just assembled to enjoy with drinks on the terrace tonight. 



The see the whole platter



AUGUST 3rd A BUSY CAFE: at brunch time in a trendy part of the city this morning



AUGUST 4th A CLOSE UP OF FOOD: enoki mushrooms actually



AUGUST 5th HOT: chillies in fact those claimed to be the hottest in Bhutan. An archive shot from our travels in Trashiyangtse. These  were drying in the sun on market day




AUGUST 6th FRESHLY PICKED: basil from the back balcony pot that even survived the heat wave



AUGUST 7th COLD: Frozen Khmer coffee and it was very cold. This was a first for me and at a newly discovered cafe with $1 coffees on Wednesday. Perfect especially accompanied with cold rolls for a late lunch



AUGUST 8th GOOEY: This is a local sticky rice patty filled with garlic chives and one of the very few street foods in Cambodia that we are absolutely sure is vegetarian. There was a vendor right outside the entrance to our apartment block today and I love them



*The pan of them frying in a street vendor’s mobile stall



AUGUST 9th COLOURFUL FOOD: a meal I assembled at home earlier this week. I’ve been an advocate for eat a rainbow since I first read about it in Japan in the 1990s



AUGUST 10th A COFFEE CUP: with a few stains, and scratches but still a favourite and the well loved one I use everyday



AUGUST 11th BREAKFAST: Nothing is quite like starting the day right with fresh tropical fruit, probiotic yoghurt, a homemade muesli cookie and coffee

* unexpectedly this one made it into the Fab 4 on Insta



AUGUST 12th MY FAVOURITE FOOD: is mushrooms. In this shot are shimeji, king trumpet or eryngii and shiitake fresh dried and simmered. Homemade mixed mushroom pasta and risotto on the menu for us this week



AUGUST 13th SLICE: A slice of the simple yoghurt and lime cake I recently added to my baking repertoire



AUGUST 14th HOMEMADE: I missed having an oven so much in Bhutan I seem to be on a bit of a baking blitz at the moment



AUGUST 15th LUNCH: I rarely eat lunch these days but if I do this one is my favourite. It quick, easy and delicious

 


AUGUST 16th FRESHLY BAKED: zucchini, spinach, capsicum and cheese savoury muffins with salted black peppercorns. Had to try one while it was still warm and they are definitely delicious



AUGUST 17th FOOD IN MOTION:Wow Now food delivery in a torrential monsoon downpour



AUGUST 18th A STACK: This prompt inspired me to attempt a stack of roasted veggies with couscous. Of course it required a skewer to make it stand up but it tasted great. Embracing imperfection



AUGUST 19th INGREDIENTS: for one of my signature dishes - Lotus Root Salad. We never tire of it



AUGUST 20th MOUTH-WATERING: selection of salads for a simple picnic dinner outdoors tonight. We are hoping to see the blue, sturgeon, super moon rise tonight if there isn’t too much cloud cover 



AUGUST 21st CRISPY: tempeh and veggie skewers with spicy peanut sauce as a post table tennis and swimming treat today. We are quite taken with this little cafe with its quirky location, decor and menu



AUGUST 22nd FOOD & PEOPLE: The street side stalls and vendors of Phnom Penh always have a ready smile whether you buy or not

*Update this was a selection for the fab 4 on Insta



AUGUST 23rd DINNER: Homemade spicy tofu and veg dumplings for us for dinner tonight. It’s a two person job. I can’t make the wrappers and Ian can’t form them up. Team work is dream work



AUGUST 24th MY FAVOURITE DESSERT: Actually I’m not big on sweet treats but this is one that I do make for special occasions and special guests The Moosewood’s Montana Momma’s Double Baked Cheesecake with a tropical twist. I just can’t resist adapting things - halve the sugar bake with lime zest and juice and serve with puréed mango and passionfruit pulp. Yum



AUGUST 25th A BOWL OF: eat a rainbow salad for dinner tonight



AUGUST 26th A PERFECT PAIRING: Freshly made flat bread with leftover salad for a simple wrap for lunch



AUGUST 27th FRUIT: the mostly dried fruit component of the muesli cookies I am baking right now. Add seeds, coconut, oats and even chocolate chips sometimes, but not today and they are the perfect breakfast with fresh fruit or afternoon tea pick me up. A must have in our household these days



AUGUST 28th CHEESY: A delicious plate of grilled halloumi with micro greens. This is a favourite dish of mine and an archive shot as we don’t actually have any cheese in the house today and I’m too lazy to go buy some



AUGUST 29th VEGETABLE: one of my favourites is red capsicum and it makes its way into many dishes in our household



AUGUST 30th GLASS: How about a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc or two? Don’t mind if I do





AUGUST 31st A MARKET STALL: we frequent in our local area and one of the many different vendors from whom we regularly buy specific 

*second update Just discovered this one made it into the Fab nine on Facebook as did Ian’s on the same day 



THE PROMPTS






No comments:

Post a Comment