Sunday, April 21, 2024

Memorable teacher moment

 


This was just last weekend but already it seems like an age ago and if I don’t post it now, I just know I never will.



We had a completely school free weekend again… maybe two in a row means we really do have this now? 


After washing our second load of laundry, marketing, getting the zips in my boots and pencil case fixed at the cobbler l love, walking up to Shop 7 for the best local Gouda cheese, made in Bumthang of course and then eating momos for a late lunch, we got beers and were heading back to our much loved apartment at Ambient and then when we were climbing the stairs to Clock Tower from the National Stadium, unexpectedly the call “Madam Vicky,” caught my attention. 


I turned around and a former Druk School student threw his arms around me and hugged me before saying anything else. 


In a society that still rarely touches anyone but children, publicly, this was a heartwarming moment. We only chatted briefly but we hugged twice more. I’m a hugger! He vowed to gather his former classmates to meet too. 


Before I even crossed the square and then the main  street to get to our apartment, there was a Facebook friend request and unsurprisingly he has a largely dormant account. That is the reclusive student I remember so it wasn’t suspicious. However messenger was active and I sent a quick message. We had a brief exchange and that was enough to raise my flagging spirits and boost my motivation to persist in this teacher role. 


A true teacher moment. Thank you “R” - you know who you are and even better you are now a story of success ! 


Gratitude doesn’t even begin to cover how that felt. Memorable moment. I’ll ask for nothing more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment