Sunday, May 1, 2022

oNe PhOtO a DaY ArPrIl 2022:


APRIL 1st ON MY PLATE: is fresh coconut and date cake I baked. Almost everything else we eat is in a bowl so this prompt was an excuse to have coffee and cake today. PAD making every day better


 

APRIL 2nd A VEGETABLE: Having just arrived home from the local market I was spoilt for choice but this smaller than my hand, sweet, local pumpkin was today’s bargain and at about 35 cents, it is definitely the best choice. It will be roasted with other veggies for a salad to accompany zucchini fritters tomorrow



APRIL 3rd A FRUIT: Mango is one of my favourites and right now they are in season here. Yesterday the lovely Khmer family, from whom we rent our house, gifted us these five mangoes from the trees on their property. They are always very generous with the prolific crops they produce and we feel grateful for their kindness and generosity

 


APRIL 4th BREAKFAST: almost always includes baguettes these days but this was actually yesterday’s breakfast, because on weekends we try to up the ante- eggs, rocket, Malabar spinach, Thai basil, tomatoes, chili jam, vegemite and lashings of Kampot pepper



APRIL 5th LUNCH: At the pagoda the main meal of the day is lunch as monks don’t eat after noon. This is Din and he has the haircut but not the robes as he is yet to be ordained but he was helping deliver the food for lunch to the tables today. Many of their meals are donated by families on the alms walk in the morning and then the helpers serve them up at around 11am.

 


These are the alms bowls the monks carry through the streets and return to the pagoda with almost every morning


 

APRIL 6th DINNER: Dukkah spiced, zucchini and cheese fritters I made for dinner a few nights ago. I’m beginning to think Dukkah is my favourite spice mix and I keep finding more dishes it adds zing to


 

APRIL 7th RAW: My favourite kind of salad is a combination of raw and roasted so here are the raw ingredients for tonight’s version. Perfect for a vegetarian, eat a rainbow kind of meal

 


The final dish once the steamed broccoli, roasted potatoes, onions, garlic, pumpkin seeds and almonds were added with omelette strips.



APRIL 8th COOKED: We had lunch in our favourite vegetarian eatery in Kampot today and the Falafel Plate is Ian’s go to order. Both the bread and falafels were cooked and thoroughly delicious



APRIL 9th IN MY PANTRY: Our galley kitchen doesn’t stretch to a pantry but four wheelie boxes under the kitchen shelf unit serve the same purpose and make more efficient use of the small space

 


APRIL 10th DESSERT: Fresh mango and pineapple with yoghurt and oats. It was actually breakfast but that’s about as close as it gets to dessert in our house. I do bake cakes and cookies for coffee time but I almost never make dessert these days

 


APRIL 11th A GREEN FOOD: Snow-peas are one of my favourite salad ingredients and one that is not easy to find here but Kampot market had a supply and I availed this week

*this shot was surprisingly selected for the Fab Four in PAD 



APRIL 12th SNACK: Homemade chocolate chip shortbread and oatmeal cookies with coffee is the snack of choice in our household



APRIL 13th A FAVE RECIPE: of mine is Beijing Salad. I named it for the street food it was adapted from and I’ve been making it for three decades. The recipe is stored in the digital file I keep in my phone so that I can share it with friends and that is exactly what I did today as we had friends for dinner last night and they requested it. Even when I write the recipe I still adapt it every time and the ingredients change a little each time I prepare it



APRIL 14th INGREDIENT: Freshly ground black pepper makes its way into most dishes at our house. How could anyone resist when world famous Kampot pepper is grown just a few kilometres down the road



APRIL 15th KITCHEN: We are having a staycation and house sitting in Kep so I will showcase the main indoor kitchen in this magnificent home. We actually use and prefer the outdoor kitchen and it’s cooler and more practical to cook outside in the tropics too



APRIL 16th 2 THINGS: Lime and chili make their way into many dishes and even some drinks in our house

 


APRIL 17th A DRINK: It’s a rare treat for me to indulge in this kind of drink - mocha frappe. Ian stuck to his regular order of black coffee but I decided to take a trip down memory lane when this was the kind of reward I would allow myself for submitting assignments on time in my college days. Must have been more than a decade since I’d had anything like it and I savoured every indulgent mouthful


 

APRIL 18th A WHITE FOOD: Last night’s deconstructed salad was absolutely what the doctor ordered but it was the feta - a white food, that was my favourite ingredient. Also featuring the last of the rocket since the chooks decimated the garden and destroyed it all yesterday while we were house sitting elsewhere!

 


The actual salad as it was served



APRIL 19th HEALTHY: I’m not sure how healthy this breakfast really is but we certainly had healthy appetites after our early morning walk this morning and we enjoyed every last mouthful



APRIL 20th INDULGENT: This is about as indulgent as it gets in our house. At today’s gathering brownies with coconut ice-cream and dragon fruit was dessert



APRIL 21st A RED FOOD: Not one of Ian’s chilli concoctions but a local product that was gifted to us. A little goes a long way and my lips are now tingling with the after effect of this in my lunch

 


APRIL 22nd SAVOURY: A platter of salad filled lettuce and cabbage cups. It was a bit of a messy savoury for finger food but I still loved the taste



APRIL 23rd SWEET: chilled and artistically carved watermelon. It was almost too pretty to eat

 


APRIL 25th IN MY CUP:  I love latte and often order it in cafés but rarely have milk at home. I was recently gifted this sachet and keep forgetting to buy milk to make it. I was also not so recently gifted this gorgeous Japanese tea cup with flashes of orange. As of now, this is as close as the turmeric latte has come to being in my cup

 


APRIL 25th ON MY FORK: is linguine with roasted cherry tomatoes, red capsicum, red onions, giant oyster mushrooms and garlic sauce garnished with Thai basil and Parmesan- going with Eurasian fusion cooking and though I did use a fork for this shot, I ate it with chopsticks as I do almost every meal


 

APRIL 26th YUK: When you have been vegetarian for about 35 years this is really the definition of yuk. Many those who do eat beef are somewhat confronted by the way it is stored and presented in the markets here and also think yuk. As a Cham person I think she is Muslim and the only beef vendor and among the pork sellers, who usually display the whole pig’s head. I guess it’s halal

 *this shot was my second selection for the Fab Four in PAD in this month! 



APRIL 27th I EAT HERE: every time we go to PP and usually several times. Backyard Cafe simply the best. Archive shot today as it’s really been a total overwhelm

 


APRIL 28th THIS IS DELICIOUS: A tempeh open sandwich at Simple Things for lunch today. Kampot’s vegetarian haven serving up health and nutrition with style

 


APRIL 29th UTENSIL: The Cambodian, lacquer chopsticks I use daily and absolutely love. I eat almost everything with chopsticks and have for more than three decades



APRIL 30th IN MY BOWL: Two of my favourite rattan bangles in my lacquered, coconut nut shell bowl. After a full month of food and drinks I just had to break the pattern. This beautiful bowl has always been used for bangles and bracelets and it will never be used for food

 


THE PROMPTS

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment